Re: KidCode: Next steps

From: Darren New <dnew@sgf.fv.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 16:39:51 +0100
To: Terje Norderhaug <Norderhaug.CHI@xerox.com>
Cc: www-talk@www10.w3.org
> Anybody that wondered why First Virtual has such an interest in ratings,
> except the obvious one that an important segment of their customer base
> is exactly those that would rate their content?

Exactly.  If we didn't care for the First Amendment, we'd just nuke all
the adult sellers from our servers.  It's a liability to support them
compared to the amount of money we make, since the commerce engine is run
on almost a cost-recovery basis.

> Similar technology that can be used for rating can be used to filter
> unwanted ads.

Well, I'd still like to see how you filter ads that aren't marked as ads.
Heck, any server run by a major corporation is likely to be one huge ad.
Why else would the put it up?  (Of course, some with CGI scripts cut down
their costs by automating stuff they would otherwise have to do with a
phone system, like FedEx; but I think the vast majority of non-hobby web
pages are giant ads.)

{TMs as appropriate.}

  --Darren