Re: Automatic Filter for Accented Characters ?

From: lilley <lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 10:53:10 +0100 (BST)
To: jftm@di.ufpe.br (Jose Fernando Tepedino Martins)
Cc: www-talk@www10.w3.org
Jose Fernando Tepedino Martins wrote [about named entities]:

>    I've been using for a long time files with characters with accents
> (ISO 8859 standard) in most of my editing works (vi, textedit, latex).

>    I have now a lot of documents with accented characters, and I love
> them, because they make the text much more readable than using any other
> codification. I've been wondering if I really should run a transformation
> program for each HTML file I write before putting it in the WWW Server
> public area.

No. (Provided you mean 8859-1). These characters are entirely legal.

You _might_ need such a filter if you want to send these HTML documents
via a medium that may not be 8-bit clean, such as email.

But for serving via HTTP, leave them as they are. The named entities
such as &eacute; (that's <tt>&amp;eacute;</tt> for people reading
hypermail archives!) are an additional method, for those people whose
keyboards or editors do not permit entering the characters directly.

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author
|       Manchester and North HPC Training & Education Centre        |