Re: Consideration in naming products (was: Re: Apache Server Announcement)

I hope this doesn't turn into a flame war.  I probably shouldn't be
replying.  I promise not to send anything further on this topic to the
list.

   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 1995 22:27:43 +0500
   From: Rob Hartill <hartill@ooo.lanl.gov>

   > I just found out that there is a server called the "Apache."  I've got to
   > wonder whether the people who are developing this server have contacted
   > the Apache nation to find out whether it is ok to use their name.

   We didn't contact them. We thought about possible problems of the name,
   but decided we shouldn't worry.

   The Apache server is free, nobody's exploiting the name for profit, at
   the expense of the Apache people.

You may not be making profit in money, but you are making "profit" in
reputation.  You must have percieved *some* advantage or favorable
connotation in using the name, else why pick it?  Surely you don't
your projects at LANL by picking a word at random from the dictionary.

   I'm sure if we called it the "English", "Welsh", "French"... server,
   none of those nations would feel hurt in any way. Why should the
   Apache feel any different ?. Suggesting they might feel differently
   is probably a bigger insult to them than using the name.

Because unlike the English and French, the Apache were violently
persecuted, nearly to extinction, by foreign conquerors.  (The Welsh
were persecuted as well.)  While France and England have been invaded
many times in history, at present they are among the richest nations
on earth.  The same is not true of the Apache.  That's why they
deserve more consideration than the "French".

On the other hand, I would guess that, compared with the injuries done
so far, and the number of products already on the market with American
Indian names, the actual damage is quite small.  It does, however,
show a certain insensitivity.

With best regards

PS If you want want to name the server after my tribe (Davis or
Greenberg, take your pick) I promise not to be offended.  I'll even
send you a nice GIF for your logo.