Downloading (fwd)

From: Al Coslor <castoff@baker.cnw.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 16:31:51 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-talk@w3.org

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 16:30:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Al Coslor <castoff@baker>
To: www-html@w3.org
Cc: www-talk@w3.org
Subject: Downloading

Hi, I am making a homepage, and I was wondering how to make it so that
people can download a certain file from my page.  I tried going
<A HREF="file://www.cnw.com/~castoff/file.exe>file.exe</A>
but that didn't work to download.  It thought that my account was an ftp
site or something.
THen I tried saying <A HREF="www.cnw.com/~castoff/file.exe">file.exe</A>
but then, it just scrolled a bunch of junk all over the screen.
	I want to make it so that when you click on the link it asks you
if you want to download the file or save to disk or whatever.  I wonder
if I need to give the file certain permissions with the chmod command...
I tried a bunch of chmod commands, but it still didn't work.  Please help
me make this work.
Thanks.

-castoff