Re: Can you cache the unknown? (was Re: Session-ID proposal)

From: Roy Fielding <fielding@beach.w3.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 14:58:09 -0400
To: Bob Wyman <bobwyman@medio.com>
Cc: "www-talk@w3.org" <www-talk@w3.org>
>I don't understand why a cache "must" do this... Can you explain why this is
>necessary?

Any unknown header is treated as an Entity-Header, and a proxy must cache
entity headers if it intends to forward them to future clients.

>I would prefer if caches would not cache objects that contained unknown
>headers under any conditions. If this can't be the case, can we at least
>have a requirement  that caches must not cache responses that carry protocol
>versions whose defined elements aren't understood by the cache.

That is unneccessary if the recipient compares the received headers
to the received HTTP-Version.

 ....Roy T. Fielding  Department of ICS, University of California, Irvine USA
                      Visiting Scholar, MIT/LCS + World-Wide Web Consortium
                      (fielding@w3.org)                (fielding@ics.uci.edu)