Can you cache the unknown? (was Re: Session-ID proposal)

From: Mark S. Friedman <msfriedm@us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 09:13:37 -0700
To: www-talk@w3.org
Bob Wyman writes:
 > On a slightly different tack... It seems like this whole business of caching
 > is getting a bit complicated... It also seems that much of the data needed
 > to responsibly cache things is not covered in the HTTP specs themselves.
 > Rather, a serious cache writer would have to spend a good bit of time
 > reading www-talk, etc. to collect the necessary folk-lore. Adding alot of
 > information about caching in the HTTP spec could make it more complex then
 > neccessary. Thus, it would seem to me that it would be useful to put some
 > effort into building at least an "informational" RFC or IETF-Draft on the
 > subject of caching. Is someone already doing this? Would it make sense? If
 > it isn't being done and it does make sense, I think I'll volunteer to try to
 > fix this one...

I certainly support this effort. I have yet to discover a source of
comprehensive caching info and it would be much appreciated.

-Mark

P.S. I would have liked to have sent this message directly to Bob
Wyman, but there was no indication on any of the mail headers of his
address. The From, Reply-to and Sender fields all said
www-talk-request@w3.org.