Re: can multi-content-type in a message?

On Tue, 22 Aug 1995 wqf@uestc.edu.cn wrote:
> I want to program a cgi to transfer a piece of audio together with a text/html
> back to the browser. The audio can be a explanation to the file or even a some
> music. I need it because the file is in English and the audio explanation is
> in Chinese, and the audio should be immediately played without a user to click.
>
> So, can I transfer different types of contents in a single message? From the
> http draft I can see no hint whether it is possible or impossible.

It's possible, if browsers feel like supporting it.  I know of no
browsers that currently provide such support.  Netscape's
multipart/x-mixed-replace comes close enough that going to
multipart/mixed doesn't seem like a huge step, but it's not an obviously
"cool" thing to do so who knows.

Also, if you are writing a browser that implements multipart/x-mixed-replace,
please put a "Accept: multipart/x-mixed-replace" in your headers so that we
can compare for that in our server-push scripts rather than performing a
regexp on the user-agent... thanks.

	Brian