Re: EOLAS ACQUIRES MILESTONE INTERNET SOFTWARE PATENT

From: Mike Doyle <miked@eolas.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 13:14:59 -0700
To: pei@gnn.com
Cc: www-talk@w3.org
Pei,

We've had this discussion before (last September, remember?).  You admitted
then that you did NOT release or publish anything like this before the Eolas
demonstrations.

>> 8/21/95  CHICAGO:  Eolas Technologies Inc. announced today that it has
>> completed a licensing agreement with the University of California for the
>> exclusive rights to a pending patent covering the use of embedded program
>> objects, or "applets," within World Wide Web documents.
>>
>> Also covered is the use of any algorithm which implements dynamic
>> bi-directional communications between Web browsers and external applications.
>>[....]
>
>I sincerely hope this patent isn't going to stick, for the good of
>the web as a whole...
>
>And for the record, I just want to point out that the
>  ``technology which enabled Web documents to contain fully-interactive
>    "inline" program objects''
>was existing in ViolaWWW and was *released* to the public, and in full
>source code form, even back in 1993... Actual conceptualization and
>existence occured before '93.
>
>-Pei
>
>pei@gnn.com
>http://ebay.gnn.com/people/pei/home.html

  Michael D. Doyle, Ph.D.                     http://www.eolas.com
  Chairman and CEO                              voice:312/337-8748
  Eolas Technologies Incorporated               fax:  312/337-8743