Re: EOLAS ACQUIRES MILESTONE INTERNET SOFTWARE PATENT

From: <pei@gnn.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 12:54:35 -0700
To: www-talk@w3.org
> 8/21/95  CHICAGO:  Eolas Technologies Inc. announced today that it has
> completed a licensing agreement with the University of California for the
> exclusive rights to a pending patent covering the use of embedded program
> objects, or "applets," within World Wide Web documents.
>
> Also covered is the use of any algorithm which implements dynamic
> bi-directional communications between Web browsers and external applications.
>[....]

I sincerely hope this patent isn't going to stick, for the good of
the web as a whole...

And for the record, I just want to point out that the
  ``technology which enabled Web documents to contain fully-interactive
    "inline" program objects''
was existing in ViolaWWW and was *released* to the public, and in full
source code form, even back in 1993... Actual conceptualization and
existence occured before '93.

-Pei

pei@gnn.com
http://ebay.gnn.com/people/pei/home.html