Re: Session-ID proposal

From: Roy Fielding <fielding@beach.w3.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 1995 16:37:38 -0400
To: dmk@allegra.att.com (Dave Kristol)
Cc: sjk@amazon.com, www-talk@www10.w3.org
>I have assumed (erroneously?) that a caching proxy must send
>conditional GETs to the origin server.  If so, there's already the cost
>of a connection.  The State-Info (previously "Session-ID") can ride the
>request almost for free.

This is, in fact, erroneous.  The conditional GET mechanism exists
to allow efficient cache updates -- why the cache is updated is up
to the cache manager.  It is *not* broken if it chooses to service a
request from its cache, unless there are clear instructions in the
request or in the cached message indicating that it should not do so.

 ....Roy T. Fielding  Department of ICS, University of California, Irvine USA
                      Visiting Scholar, MIT/LCS + World-Wide Web Consortium
                      (fielding@w3.org)                (fielding@ics.uci.edu)