Re: a test result

From: Shel Kaphan <sjk@amazon.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 10:45:00 -0700
To: lilley <lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk>
Cc: sjk@amazon.com (Shel Kaphan), www-talk@w3.org
lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk writes:
 > Shel Kaphan said:
 > >
 > > As it turns out, using the NCSA server (v 1.3) there is apparently no
 > > way for a CGI program to return the Location header with a 2xx status.
 >
 > First, that statement is untrue. Secondly, this is a feature not a bug.

Less Filling!  Tastes Great!  Yes, you can do this with the nph-*
thing, of which I was unaware until yesterday.  But in what sense is
it a feature for things to work this way?  You can use the Location
directive by itself to issue a redirect. Nothing I suggested would
change this.  The question is what happens when you want a Location
header in the response as well as a 2xx return code.  Having to bypass
all server-inserted headers by using the nph kluge is a bit
unfortunate, that's all.  What is so unreasonable about wanting the
Status server directive to be obeyed in all cases?

 > > If you generate a Location header, the server forces 302 status.
 >
 > Yes. That is what outputting the string Location: is supposed to do; it
 > lets you issue a redirect from a program, without the hassle of creating
 > all your own headers yourself.

Ah, so you agree having to generate all your own headers is a hassle.

 > > Sounds like a patch is needed.  (maybe there are newer versions that
 > > already have this fixed?)
 >
 > No, and no. Suppose this was patched. How would you ever issue a redirect?

Same as now: by using the Location directive without an overriding Status
directive.  BTW, the Netscape server works as I suggest right this
very minute.  If you use a Location directive but no Status directive,
it defaults to 302.  Use a Status directive too, and it believes you.
How terribly controversial!

 > You would have to generate all your own headers. Imagemap would stop
 > working. Etc.

No.

 > So here is the impossible program. As you can see it is not complicated:

I'm suitably impressed.  You knew about something I didn't: this
incredible nph thing.

--Shel