Re: 3 Proposals: session ID, business-card auth, customer auth

From: Darren New <dnew@sgf.fv.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 12:36:59 +0100
To: Dave Kristol <dmk@allegra.att.com>
Cc: john@math.nwu.edu, www-talk@www10.w3.org
> Netscape's cookies get stored locally (~/.netscape-cookies on my Unix
> box).  I suspect their state carries over from one session to another.
> Perhaps that's old behavior, though -- my cookie file is four months old.

I'm not sure where I heard this, but my understanding is that the cookie
gets assigned by Netscape's server the first time you hit their home
page, which the client is configured to do.  That way they can keep track
of how many people have downloaded their browser.  That would imply the
cookie is not changed between sessions.  --Darren