Which header field to use for entity author/contact.

From: Steve Heaney <heaney@cambridge.scr.slb.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 95 15:58:00 BST
To: www-talk@w3.org

Please,

I've been trying to determine the recommended way of returning the entity
author/contact in the HTTP response.

The HTTP 1.0 draft provides one method using the LINK entity header and
its rev "attribute" [1].

The HTML 2.0 draft documents an example using the <META> tag which uses
'Reply-to' as the value of the http-equiv attribute [2].  However, I can't
find this header documented in HTTP/1.0.  (The same incidentally also
goes for 'Keyword' which is used in the same example).

A thread from the start of April in the hypermail archive of the HTTP-WG
mailing list also mentions using 'From' [3].

Which should I use, or is there another alternative?

Thanks for your help,

Steve.

P.S. The HTML draft clearly states that the server MAY read the document
<HEAD> to generate header fields.  Do any servers currently do this?
(I'm reasonably certain the CERN httpd does not - although the meta
data file can be used to the same end).

[1] http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/Protocols/HTTP1.0/HTTP1.0-ID_30.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/Markup/html-spec/html-spec_5.html
[3] http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/hypermail/1995q2/thread.html#1