Re: File upload from a Web browser

From: Fisher Mark <FisherM@is3.indy.tce.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 95 06:30:00 PDT
To: "'Graham Jim'" <flar@bendenweyr.eng.sun.com>, Masinter Larry <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Cc: www-talk <www-talk@www10.w3.org>

I also see Java as a way to prototype new browser features, like file
upload.  Once the prototype serves its purpose, though, the feature should
be hard-coded into browsers.  There are useful file upload apps (the TCE
Corporate Technical Memory being one) where local directory restrictions on
files would not be a problem, so Java would be an appropriate prototyping
tool.

Maybe it is my own myopic viewpoint, but file upload seems to be one of just
a small handful of WWW browser features that have a very high benefit/cost
ratio that have not been implemented.  Unicode support (admittedly
significantly higher cost) seems to be the other...
Mark Fisher                            Thomson Consumer Electronics
fisherm@indy.tce.com                   Indianapolis, IN