Re: Re[2]: File upload from a Web browser

On Fri, 14 Jul 1995, Murray Bent wrote:
> >file upload in Hotjava???
>
> OK.
>
> But why burden the server with anything more than a reference to
> an object?

Because not all objects have persistant stores (in fact, the act of
uploading a file is to create a persistant store for the object, in the
most useful cases).

> That would require a distributed namespace implemented
> in Java. And if we could get beyond naming, a lot of cool facilities
> would be possible such as replication, process migration, agents,
> distributed queries, as well as your favorite list of facilities.

I don't think this has anything to do with Java - URCs and URNs will
provide the namespace and indirection abilities the web currently lacks,
through which most of the functionalities you list can be accomplished.

> Why limit the Web to being a big "file system" when systems like
> Lotus Notes or Microsoft Network tell us that there a better ways
> of doing things and these involve ease of replication, storage,
> scripting and ability to compose arbitrary chunks of content?

Those better ways are being addressed - I think to say one proprietary
solution is far better than what's implemented has a lot to prove.  We could
do a lot worse than go in the direction of seeing URC's deployed and carried
over the current distribution systems (query-based like http,
notification-based like smtp and flooding-based like nntp) or future systems
(enntp, anyone?)

	Brian