Re: File upload from a Web browser

From: Rob Hartill <hartill@ooo.lanl.gov>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 95 9:47:43 MDT
To: ppetit@wct.fr
Cc: www-talk@www10.w3.org

Patrick Petit <ppetit@wct.fr> wrote,

> Hi,
>
> I am going through this list to get some advises on the
> following problem.
>
> I have to design an application where a client browsing a Web
> server could decide to upload a local file to that serveur for processing
> and get the result of that processing some time latter into another file.

> This application must be performed using a Web browser interface.
> No assumption can be made about the availability or not of
> some other resources on the client side like ftp or mail.
>
> How would you resolve that problem ?

Don't hold your breath waiting for the browser developers
to implement a file upload option. It's trivial, but still a pipe
dream for most service providers.

If the popular browsers implemented this feature, it'd make feasible
a huge number of projects which are currently mothballed.
I believe there's a mature RFC out there somewhere for Netscape et al
to follow.

rob
--
http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/