Re: misconceptions about MIME [long]

Nathaniel Borenstein (
Wed, 28 Oct 1992 10:57:20 -0500 (EST)

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1992 10:57:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Nathaniel Borenstein <>
To: (Dennis Kavanaugh),
Subject: Re: misconceptions about MIME [long]
Cc: Larry Masinter <>,,

Excerpts from mail: 28-Oct-92 Re: misconceptions about MI.. Tim
Berners-Lee@www3.cer (894)

> Would MIME in return (a) add
> text/SGML/HTML as a MIME format  (who registers DTD names?) and also
> use an IETF standard URL a the external reference format?

I'm not an expert on any of these formats, but would point out that
syntactically MIME content-types are only a two level hierarchy, but you
could name it something like "text/sgml-html".  Also, if the format
isn't really human-readable, you probably don't want to put it under
"text", but are better off with "application/sgml-html" or something
like that.

Registration is with IANA, the Internet Assigned Numbers (Names?)
Authority.  -- Nathaniel