<, >, and & characters in HTML

Dan Connolly (connolly@pixel.convex.com)
Thu, 10 Dec 92 11:05:24 CST

To: www-talk@nxoc01.cern.ch
Subject: <, >, and & characters in HTML
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 92 11:05:24 CST
From: Dan Connolly <connolly@pixel.convex.com>

I'm trying to write libHTML so that applications
can just deal with C style character strings, and
the library does all the SGML details.

The use of &lt; and &amp; to represent < and & never
seemed to fit cleanly into the SGML view of things.
So I posted to comp.text.sgml.

I think I'm a lot clearer on the matter now. The
&lt; and &gt; entities are meant to be used in typesetting
mathematics, where a less-than symbol is not necessarily
the same thing as a '<' character.

There's a mechanism for referencing characters in the
document character set in such a way that they will
not be treated as markup: numeric character references.

I'd like to get rid of the &lt;, &gt;, and &amp; entities
from the HTML DTD. Granted, there will be a transition
period while providers adjust, but I think it will make
the spec cleaner.

Anyway, here's what the experts had to say...

[edited...]