Re: Lets keep the web together

Marc Andreessen (
Tue, 1 Dec 92 12:15:42 -0800

Date: Tue, 1 Dec 92 12:15:42 -0800
From: (Marc Andreessen)
To: Dan Connolly <>
Subject: Re: Lets keep the web together

Dan Connolly writes:
> You can't use any of the parts without using the whole thing: you
> can't use the parser unless you use the HText data structures,
> including the HTMainText global variable! [...]

I have to agree with this as a negative assessment.  Trying to figure
out how to deal with the library hasn't been very much fun.

> Again, we see the need for a CSCW platform.

Well, for what it's worth, the server running on will accept the ANNOTATE command as proposed
in a previous message of mine, and I can send the patches to enable
this (as well as modify the linemode browser and library to provide
annotation functionality) to anyone who wants them.  A more complex
system is certainly desirable, though.

> I think that if we archived the www-talk mailing list, and built an
> HTTP server that would serve the articles up with hypertext links
> between folloups etc, it would be a good start.
> If I code up a server in perl that can do this, will somebody
> provide disk space and network access?

I would, but it already exists:

Dan, if you want to do a mailing list archive also, contact me and
we'll set it up...