Re: ScreenMode binaries, man page reader, experimental server

Tony Johnson (
Mon, 23 Nov 1992 19:06 PDT

Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1992 19:06 PDT
From: "Tony Johnson (415) 926 2278" <>
Subject: Re: ScreenMode binaries, man page reader, experimental server

Jim Whitescarver writes....

>We have an experimental server for our CWIS plus a special gateway
>server.  The ScreenMode interface can still be access via telnet to
> with the login www.  You can try the manual page reader
>their, or via http://eies2:1234/man.  We make extensive use of the <PRE>
>tag for preformatted text.  Much of our hypertext, including the manual
>pages, will not be formatted properly unless you use one of our readers,
>or another reader modifies to support <PRE>.

If you are using the MidasWWW browser you can add support for the <pre> (and </pre>) tag
just by adding the following lines to the file
midaswww*WWWHyper*pre.font:	-*-courier-medium-r-normal-*-17-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*
midaswww*WWWHyper*pre.breakBefore:	SGMLBREAK_ALWAYS
midaswww*WWWHyper*pre.breakAfter:	SGMLBREAK_ALWAYS
midaswww*WWWHyper*pre.tagList:	SGMLAnchorText: a SGMLMarkerText: p
midaswww*WWWHyper*pre.defaultClass:	SGMLPlainText
midaswww*WWWHyper*pre*p.breakBefore:	SGMLBREAK_NEVER

and replacing the line beginning midaswww*WWWHyper*default.tagList: with

midaswww*WWWHyper*default.tagList:	SGMLMarkerText: p isindex nextid
SGMLCompositeText: address dl h1 h2 h3 h4 h5 h6 dir menu pre SGMLListText: ul SGMLText:
comment title SGMLPlainText: xmp listing plaintext SGMLAnchorText: a

(this should be all one line even though it is probably wrapped in the message you are

The "pre-formatted" man pages look good (try for an