Re: improved printing of WWW files

Tim Berners-Lee (
Thu, 5 Nov 92 11:52:33 +0100

Date: Thu, 5 Nov 92 11:52:33 +0100
From: Tim Berners-Lee <>
To: Jim Davis <>
Subject: Re: improved printing of WWW files

>  Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1992 16:48:34 -0500
>  From: Jim Davis <>

>  If you can't quite manage to live without hardcopy, you may
>  wish sometimes to print WWW files.  I have written a couple
>  of scripts to do this.  They are particularly useful with
>  Pei Wei's excellent Viola WWW browser.

>  A tar archive is available for anonymous FTP:

Also now available as

>  The hardest part was writing the perl script to obtain documents
>  via http protocol - turns out you cant just run pipes through telnet.
Why not use "www -source" ?

You say, in print-www, that:

# It is intended to
# be used from the Viola WWW browser but might he useful
# elsewhere too

Of course it's great from the line mode browser too, in which you can say

	source | print-www

or just
        setenv WWW_PRINT_COMMAND "print-www '%s' | lpr"

beforehand, and say PRINT in www.

Thanks for a cleaning up the .sed file, and doing the thing properly.