Re: Thoughtful piece on the costs of the siloing of social media

I received a number of private messages following my first post here, so
I'm encouraged to follow up, particularly because I just stumbled upon this
post by Adobe's Scott Belsky from 2014 which complements the thread started
here by Henry:

"The Interface Layer: Where Design Commoditizes Tech.
<https://medium.com/bridge-collection/the-interface-layer-when-design-commoditizes-tech-e7017872173a#.851p2zu7t>
A new cohort of design-driven companies are adding a layer of convenience
between us and the underlying services and utilities that improve our
lives. This could change everything."

"Behold the power of the “Interface Layer,” it’s not just about great
design, it is about the integration of the actions that make life easier
and the commoditization of the services underneath. It is more than a
layer, it is a shift in the economy that is led by designers rather than
cable executives, tech titans, and logistics masterminds. It is a “closed”
user experience built on top of a wide open and hotly competitive ecosystem
of services."

... Running Scott's perspective through the lens of the hi:project, we see
three types of outcome:

1. A heterogeneous market of proprietary interface layer applications
2. Current centralizing mechanics lead to the consolidation of the
interface layer under the ownership of the platform duopoly
3. The 'design' of the interface layer is open and distributed.

The first of these is Belsky's hypothesis, yet despite his enthusiasm it is
unsustainable in my opinion. As tech analyst Benedict Evans points out
<http://ben-evans.com/benedictevans/2015/9/26/mobile-is-not-a-neutral-platform>,
"it's the operating system itself that's the internet services platform,
far more than the browser, and the platform is not neutral."

The first of these then will naturally cede to the second with the
mediating duopoly in question being the dominant OS vendors (as the OS
vendors demonstrate how 'helpful' they can be
<http://thenextweb.com/google/2015/03/14/a-google-now-open-api-is-in-the-works-and-support-for-theme-park-ride-queue-times/>,
and the de-appification
<https://blog.intercom.io/the-end-of-apps-as-we-know-them/> continues).
Facebook may make it a triopoly, but they'll be the also-rans in this
respect if they manage to hang in there.

The hi:project exists because our team and our "champions" don't like
outcome 2 here. We don't think it's healthy. To be honest, I'm not sure
everyone I know at the OS vendors in question would be singing the praises
of outcome 2 unconditionally either.

Mark, you write: "Personally, I'm very interested, but the Web as currently
designed and implemented heavily encourages centralisation, and changing it
is likely harder than just starting something new."

Is the web of data and SoLiD that 'something new', particularly if we can
also enable unmediated (as in by a company rather than by one's own
software agent) interaction and sense-making, seeding such capability with
the billions of web users through the companies that already feature in
their digital lives for good old-fashioned commercial imperative?

Take the global consumer packaged goods companies. I can't claim that my
discussions with individuals at these companies is representative of the
companies' overall position, but they've nearly always been intermediated
from their billions of end-customers – firstly by the likes of Tesco and
Walmart, more recently by Google, Apple and Facebook. They had a glimmer of
the potential for disintermediation back in the early days of all things
'social', but to my knowledge those I've spoken with haven't been offered
anything other than the hi:project to establish direct disintermediated
data-oriented relationships with consumers / collaborators; a relationship
where each and everyone of us has agency. I can't think of an organisation
that would lose in this situation.

Best, Philip.