Re: Firefox addin to replace 404 pages with archived pages from wayback machine

From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 10:26:57 -0400
To: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
Cc: Herbert Van de Sompel <hvdsomp@gmail.com>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>

On 8/8/2016 11:58 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> Let's say a user has bookmarked a page for reference.  And that page has
> moved, but is yet archived.  I can see value for a user to see the material
> that she had seen before, from an archived version.

Your example is of a page you describe as "moved". Shouldn't the server
return 301 for that? (Or possibly 303 - See other)?

> 4xx is indicated to the user agent, and I think that fundamentally in web arch the user is the ultimate curator of the content presented.

Yes, as I acknowledged in my post, but from a protocol point of view 404
means "doesn't exist" (Not found). If there's a real need for "Not found,
but please offer users an old version if available" I would think a new 40X
code would be the more architecturally robust way of giving the server