Re: Comment on minutes ## With Credentials flag etc

Yep, thank you.  I remember that, and I hope I've accurately captured the history and reasoning behind the parts of UMP (anonymous requests) that made it into the final CORS without mentioning it by name.   I'm trying to keep the acronym soup and exact historical particulars to a minimum for the audience, and stick to core themes with an emphasis on familiar metaphors.

On 4/19/16, 12:27 PM, "John Kemp" <stable.pseudonym@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Brad,
>
>Just to mention a piece of (long-ago!) history related to CORS and XHR, as I previously did some TAG analysis on CORS and a related/competing proposal, called UMP, in relation to XHR.
>
>https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.w3.org_2001_tag_2010_06_01-2Dcross-2Ddomain.html&d=CwIFaQ&c=5VD0RTtNlTh3ycd41b3MUw&r=yQ6uxs93kjlU9Af462nK3Q&m=dz03e4mAYDpPawVhR85DRhsO2Nw6Y2H5aHTBpJ5da4I&s=lL4YtaX3aPybhI6TYN4dw5HEbE3g7qTWHreJZihwisI&e=
>
>There are a number of references listed there which may be helpful in your write-up.
>
>Regards,
>
>- johnk
>

>> On Apr 19, 2016, at 12:52 PM, Brad Hill <hillbrad@fb.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've (at last) attempted to write a developer-friendly narrative explanation of all of this stuff here.  How CORS works, the permission model, and some of the historical reasoning behind the various choices.
>>
>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_document_d_1AtxTDw-2Dg9BSRW9n9kGTTqNkDTGcVfSKPAOjVGkPFu2k_edit-3Fusp-3Dsharing&d=CwIFaQ&c=5VD0RTtNlTh3ycd41b3MUw&r=yQ6uxs93kjlU9Af462nK3Q&m=dz03e4mAYDpPawVhR85DRhsO2Nw6Y2H5aHTBpJ5da4I&s=tl0wJmbCveJ_j6dmuFSAV6OUKwAlvwRzokIkIPFuZLs&e=
>>
>> Yes, it's a Google doc for now since that was fastest for me to compose, but if people think it is useful, I can incorporate comments and maybe we can turn it into a WebAppSec WG note or joint TAG finding.
>>
>> -Brad
>>

>> On 4/1/16, 11:26 AM, "Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you Jonas, for that clarification.
>>> some response inline.

>>> Perhaps the problems are that it is complicated, rather arbitrary, and not derived from general principles..

>>> That’s a long rathole but ...
>>> 1) If your local IP address is the same as the one you get from a public IP reflector then you are not behind a firewall
>>> 2) If your IP address starts with 192.168… then you are behind a firewall …
>>> 3) BUT that isn’t the point, you can be outside a firewall and still have privileged access by your IP address.