Re: Use of .well-known for CSV metadata: More harm than good

On 18 June 2015 at 21:15, David Booth <david@dbooth.org> wrote:

> [...]
>   http://example/metadata.json
>
> Presumably out of a concern that this would be URI squatting and violate
> RFC7320
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7320#section-3
> the TAG's guidance was to use the RFC5785 .well-known mechanism to enable
> sites to specify custom metadata URIs based on templates, rather than
> relying on those standard relative locations.
>
> Although URI squatting is an important issue to guard against, I do not
> believe it actually applies in this case, and use of .well-known would
> cause more harm than good.
>
> What distinguishes this case is that a tabular metadata file must
> *explicitly* reference the associated data document in order for it to be
> used as a CSVW metadata document.  This is a critical point, which IMO
> changes the balance of the situation.  It means that: (a) the URI owner has
> clearly indicated the intent to use that metadata URI for that purpose; and
> (b) it does *not* prevent that URI from instead being used for other
> purposes.   It *does* prevent that URI from simultaneously being used for
> the tabular metadata and for some other purpose, and hence it does force
> the URI owner to choose between using it for tabular metadata or for
> something else.  But even in that case, if the URI owner really wants to
> use that URI for another purpose while *still* providing tabular metadata,
> then the URI owner still has the option of publishing the metadata at an
> arbitrary custom URI, and publicizing that location, because the metadata
> file will explicitly reference the data file anyway.  (In other words,
> although the most common case may be that a user would first know the URL
> of the tabular *data* file, and from that seek the associated metadata, it
> is perfectly acceptable -- and in some ways better -- for the user to start
> with the URL of the metadata file, and use that to find the desired data
> file URL.)  For example, the URI owner could publish the metadata at
> http://example/my-foo-metadata.json (which in turn would point to
> http://example/foo.csv ) and then advertise that URL.
>
> Harms that would be caused by requiring the use of .well-known in this
> case include:
>
>  - A *required* extra web access, nearly *every* time a conforming CSVW
> processor is given a tabular data URL and wishes to find the associated
> metadata -- because surely http://example/.well-known/csvm will be 404
> (and not cachable) in the vast majority of cases.
>
>  - Greater complexity in all conforming CSVW implementations.
>
>  - Reduced security, because a change to .well-known/csvm could completely
> change the interpretation of a given tabular data file, and that change
> would be far afield from the directory containing the data file, and thus
> may go completely unnoticed by the owner of the data file.
>
> In short, I think the benefits of .well-known in this case are dubious,
> and far outweighed by the harms.   I think the TAG's guidance to the CSVW

+1

I will probably be using this quite a bit.  I think there's going to be
quite a few cases of having access to the data directory, but not to
/well-known/.  Dropbox, I think is an example.  Perhaps this is also true
of many shared folders.  Your argument makes a lot of sense.