Support of ftp-scheme URIs (was: Re: ftp: no longer supported by Chome?)

FWIW: integrating FTP content into the Web was one of the original goals
that Tim set for URIs and the Web:

"By Universal I mean that the web is declared to be able to contain in
principle every bit of information accessible by networks. It was designed
to be able to include existing information systems such as FTP, and to be
able simply in the future to be extendable to include any new information
system. "

The TAG also has historically kept an eye on the degree to which widely
used implementations (think IE, Firefox, Apache, IIS, etc.) implemented Web
standards. ftp-scheme URIs are such a standard and Chrome is obviously
widely-deployed.

> If you would like to suggest the TAG issue a finding on FTP’s place int he web then please submit some ideas on this topic (under a new subject header).

I agree, that's the right way to frame the question. Whether this is worth
the TAG's attention right now I'm not sure, but I believe it's in scope and
very much in the spirit of issues the TAG has in the past chosen to pursue.
I've changed the subject line :-).

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Axioms.html#uri