Re: Verizon Wireless ISP-injected tracking info used to reconstruct deleted cookies

* Noah Mendelsohn wrote:
>Wondering if this is of interest to the TAG [1,2,3]? The claim is that
>Verizon Wireless (and earlier also AT&T) is injecting tracking information
>into mobile users' Web traffic, and that an ad agency is using that to
>reconstruct deleted cookies.
>
>  Also wondering whether, apropos the recent debates about moving to HTTPS,
>companies like Verizon would be able to MITM HTTPs traffic to play games
>like this. Seems to depend on the cert control provided by mobile browsers,
>and I'm concerned that in practice many of the browsers come from the ISPs,
>which supply the phones, which check the certs....

Relatedly, I saw this over on Usenet:

  From: Rich <rich@example.invalid>
  Newsgroups: comp.misc
  Subject: Obama Sides with Cameron in Encryption Fight
  Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 18:18:11 +0000 (UTC)

  http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/01/16/obama-sides-with-cameron-in-encryption-fight/

  Quoting from the URL above:

     President Barack Obama said Friday that police and spies should not
     be locked out of encrypted smartphones and messaging apps, taking
     his first public stance in a simmering battle over private
     communications in the digital age.

     "If we find evidence of a terrorist plot ... and despite having a
     phone number, despite having a social media address or email
     address, we can't penetrate that, that's a problem," Obama said. He
     said he believes Silicon Valley companies also want to solve the
     problem. "They're patriots."
D-10243 Berlin · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
 Available for hire in Berlin (early 2015)  · http://www.websitedev.de/