Re: Spec review request: CSV on the Web

On 4/19/2015 8:03 PM, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
>   I would like to get up to date in clipboard formats -- they are an
> interesting and powerful part of these systems, especially when there is
> set of smart coercions between them.  We we just discussing in the team the
> pasting of HTML into a spreadsheet as a very useful case.  It can be very
> frustrating to have an over-cute system too, like one which won't let you
> paste a plain URI into a HTML document without pasting the remembered link
> contents.  Where is there a good summary of the pasteboard formats in the
> various OSs?

Indeed. I know that on Windows the clipboard stuff was extensively reworked
for the introduction of OLE 2.0 technology in the early 1990s. Note that
clipboard formats are also used on Windows for drag and drop. Yes,
spreadsheet import of HTML is very useful. I do it (well, try it) quite often.

Not sure this is the latest, but this link appears to point to the
information you'd want on Windows clipboard formats:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms649013%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Note that the system automatically provides certain conversions, including
some involving locale-sensitive conversions between text and Unicode. If
the application puts one on the clipboard, both appear to apps that paste
or drop.

Noah

Noah