Re: [EME] HTTPS performance experiments for large scale content distribution

All,

Around 6 months ago, I reported on Netflix's experimentation with HTTPS
with our existing server infrastructure and the up to 50% capacity hit we
had observed, driven by our traffic mix.

At that time, we were uncertain of the gains we could achieve with software
and hardware optimization and of the timescale for those. I'm pleased to
report we have made good progress on that and we presented our FreeBSD work
at the Asia BSD conference [1][2].  We now believe we can deploy HTTPS at a
cost that, whilst significant, is well justified by the privacy returns for
our users.

So, as we mention today in our investor letter, we intend to roll out HTTPS
support over the coming year - for both our site and the content itself -
starting with desktop browser tests at scale this quarter.

It remains a concern, though, that restricting EME to secure origins will
reduce the incentive to ensure privacy and security issues are fully
addressed in the CDM itself, for example by ensuring all distinctive
identifiers are origin-specific, encrypted and user-clearable.

...Mark

[1] https://people.freebsd.org/~rrs/asiabsd_2015_tls.pdf
[2] https://2015.asiabsdcon.org/timetable.html.en#P7A