Re: W3C URN scheme 'root' doesn't exist?

On May 12, 2014, at 15:43 , Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org> wrote:

> On 12/05/2014 14:16 , David Singer wrote:
>> Actually, you are right, DASH requires it be a URI, so if W3C prefers
>> to use a URL over a URN, even for something that is a name, that is
>> fine.
>
> I will stay well clear of the landmine discussion about whether locators are the naming mechanism or not, but if you think this is an acceptable option please file a bug against HTML (I'm copying Silvia who generally handles media stuff).
>
> We can mint identifiers of the type http://www.w3.org/ns/whatever-name without Director approval, all we need is to say so and add a few HTML documents at the end of those URLs (which I can do easily). If you think that identifiers with another structure would be good I'm just as happy but we need the Director's approval.

OK, so

http://www.w3.org/ns/html-track-kind/<a valid value of the kind attribute for an HTML track element>

would be entirely fine.  Maybe the last / should be # ?

http://www.w3.org/ns/html-track-kind#<a valid value of the kind attribute for an HTML track element>

or don’t namespaces use #’s?

> The policy on URL naming assignment between specs is here:
>
>    http://www.w3.org/2005/07/13-nsuri

cool.  I think that kinds are not year or spec-version-specific, and likely to stay stable.

Could this be part of the HTML spec.?

“When a self-identifying HTML kind value is needed in a context outside HTML, the form http://www.w3.org/ns/html-track-kind/<a valid value of the kind attribute for an HTML track element> may be used.”

??

> --

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.