Re: Packaging on the Web specification

Hi Jeni,

while developing a parser for the packaging format, we stumbled over the renaming of multipart/package to application/package.

You give the explanation in the note in

http://w3ctag.github.io/packaging-on-the-web/#streamable-package-format

In the note you write:

   "It is also unnecessary as the boundary can be ascertained from the content of the file."

The problem with this is that every existing multipart parser out there would have to be rewritten to do the lock-ahead. It seems pretty likely that this hinders adoption.

Example: Immediate reaction in our project has been: “Nah, let’s do our own multipart/package - I am not willing to rewrite the parser”.

Maybe you should consider adding multipart/package (with the required boundary parameter) back in.

Wouldn’t hurt I think.

Jan