RE: Is the TAG structure harmful? [Was: Fwd: Forced Resignation]

I don't think I would stop participating. However I am leery of a drive to get us to move things along the W3C Process track, including its many instantly-obsolete snapshots. Right now we mostly publish things on GitHub and evolve them continually. I imagine the two publication-hacks you mention will start generating insta-obsolete Process artifacts soon, which is a shame, and perhaps we can try to avoid or mitigate it.

Speaking for myself, I would need any work I do in the TAG to be published only as an Editors Draft, or in some other unofficial non-REC-track form. This might be fine, as so far at least my work (promises guide, spec reviews, some initial work on a design principles document) has been focused on guidance that I believe can be categorized as non-normative.

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2014 10:50
To: www-tag@w3.org
Cc: www-archive@w3.org
Subject: Is the TAG structure harmful? [Was: Fwd: Forced Resignation]

[ Bcc public-w3process ]

On the one hand, as long as some set of TAG participants are elected by
Members, I suspect some see (marginal?) value in limiting the number of
participants from an organization. OTOH, I think Consortium processes
actually retard the growth of the Web when those processes prohibit or
limit willing and capable people from directly contributing to Web
standards.

I realize at least some (small?) set of TAG members have a personal
preference to work in a small group (and of course there are some
advantages to doing so), but besides the issue with the current
structure restricting the set of qualified participants, I think the
TAG's current structure is suboptimal for a number of other reasons.
Here are some of them, and I believe all of them could be addressed by
the group being a `real` Working Group.

* Publication hacks - since the TAG apparently can't publish `real`
Recommendations, they get WGs to publish their specs (NB: WebApps' draft
charter includes two specs that are being led by TAG participants and
proposed to be jointly published
<http://www.w3.org/2014/06/webapps-charter.html#coordination>).

* Term limits - as the group does more and more spec work, having a
2-year limit  can be disruptive to the completion of a document.

* Voting - instead of spending time and energy on voting, we could
divert that energy to getting the `best` people involved and actually
doing work.

* Charter with clear scope and deliverables.

* IP clarity - extending IP commitments to the participants'
organization (rather than the individuals) would be clearer and broader
and this is especially important as the group produces `real`
Recommendations.

* Eliminate a 1-off group - using a WG structure would simplify the
Process Document (i.e. eliminate all text related to the TAG).

TAG members - would any of you stop participating in your areas of
interest of this group was a Working Group?

-AB