Re: W3C URN scheme 'root' doesn't exist?

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 11:27 PM, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org> wrote:
> On 23/06/2014 13:28 , Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>>
>> You could also use these, if you prefer their description here:
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/single-page.html#attr-track-kind-subtitles
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/single-page.html#attr-track-kind-captions
>> etc
>

> I think that the fact that you're giving David a choice is part of the
> problem :)

Not really - they point to different things: one the attribute value
of the object and the other the general definition.
Also, the answer to having two alternatives is not to introduce a third. ;-)

> If two systems need to refer to these in a coherent, interoperable manner,
> they should be able to do so independently of one another. I don't say that
> this is a recommendation for URNs, but it does surface the notion that there
> could be value in us stating which ought to be used. After that, so long as
> there's a reliable string, whether it's a URN, a given URL or another, it
> doesn't matter.
>
> If your recommended best is indeed to use URLs that anchor into the spec
> (which makes sense to me) I would recommend:
>
>    http://www.w3.org/TR/html/#attr-track-kind-subtitles
>
> over
>
>    http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/single-page.html#attr-track-kind-subtitles
>
> Advantages:
>
>   • Shorter
>   • The "html" short name will continue to refer to the latest version of
> HTML whereas "html5" will possible stick to HTML 5.0.
>   • You don't need to give a file name, every page in that spec looks at the
> fragment identifier and redirects to the right page (which is good for
> humans, harmless for other systems).

Perfect. I'd recommend David use the
http://www.w3.org/TR/html/#attr-track-kind-subtitles pattern.

Cheers,