Re: Food for thought (resurfacing)

+1

I don't think you can construct a sufficiently complex system that is
absolutely immune to attack. What examples are there in nature? Determined
adversaries can and will find attack vectors given enough time  -- I worked
briefly in the security industry (on visualizing realtime data but I also
came in contact with one world famous hacker who routinely broke into
formerly secure systems for demonstration purposes -- can't elaborate for
obvious reasons)  Another friend is chief security expert at a well known
public company in the cloud infrastructure space, and I'll ask him to opine
if interested.

Having said that, I think the auto-update pattern could be a security risk
in itself in extreme and unique cases: if the organization that makes those
updates was to be compromised, e.g. government infiltration, or company was
purchased by another from a foreign country like China, etc. In fact, the
security threat to which the patch is produced could be designed such that
the most likely patching strategy would open a bigger, deeper hole in non
obvious fashion.

So Larry's instincts shouldn't be dismissed, imo, but can be taken as a
thinking point: how do we build self-healing systems that could detect an
intrusion/infection and fight it. I think tons of lessons to be learned
from biological systems. Think of vaccines as "auto-updates." Our young
baby has received a ton of pre-scheduled "auto-updates" and more to come,
but those updates teach her system to fight specific attacks by giving her
a weakened version of the potential future attacker and letting her defense
system learn how to beat it. This sounds like either a step beyond or a
step behind patching the logic of her defense system, but is certainly more
trust worthy as you're not directly deciding the counter effect.

disclaimer: I know nothing about security... but I have natural attraction
to the dark side of things... ;)