Re: A proposal for revising the rules on TAG Participation

A few more clarifications for Marc:

* I don't think anyone mentioned the obvious, which is that the TAG has by
charter a limit of 9 members, one of whom is the W3C Director (Tim BL).
Three more are appointed by Tim, and 5 are elected. The intention is to
have a group small enough to work as a synergistic team, and with all
members committed to devoting a significant fraction of their time to the
TAG. The reason for the limits on affiliation is in part because TAG slots
are a scarce resource.

* Several people have asserted the TAG has no power. That's really not
quite true. First of all, as W3C working group the TAG has certain
responsibilities and "power". It gets a last call review on
recommendations, etc. The TAG also has a formal responsibility to
coordinate liaison between the W3C and other technical organizations
(including, for example, the IETF). It's expected that when the TAG
recommends that the W3C take some particular stance or initiate some action
relating to work of another organization, the W3C will take that as formal
input. The TAG also has a formal responsibility to advise the Director
(Tim) on the many technical responsibilities he has. Yes, the TAG's "power"
does not include the ability to directly stop a specification or speak on
behalf of the W3C as a whole, but it's quite close in practice. Of course,
it's best when the TAG's influence derives mainly from the quality of its
work rather than from it's de jure role, but it does have a formal role in
many important decision making processes.

Noah