Re: A proposal for revising the rules on TAG Participation

On July 10, 2014 at 8:32:38 PM, Charles McCathie Nevile (chaals@yandex-team.ru) wrote:
> > I would be interested to hear of things that Marcos would have
> done but didn't because he was required to resign, and whether
> anything would have mitigated the situation except changing
> the rules.

Well, let see. I set up the TAG GitHub account and was happily doing API reviews. I was also starting to rewrite the architecture of the Web document with Henry, but had to stop. I couldn't justify the time and travel commitment to my employer (Mozilla) if I wasn't officially on the TAG.

People at Mozilla were also uneasy about me continuing to participate because of the W3C's rule - and, despite my various pleas to Mozilla to let me stay on the TAG and say "to hell with the stupid rule - let's work around it", I wasn't able to convince Moz's management that we should fight this (I was also very new at Mozilla, having just started and didn't want to kick up a fuss on my first days at work). I did email the W3C with various slimy proposals to get around the rule: like I wasn't "officially" employed by Mozilla, I was a contractor and hence really employed by my own company ... so technically... if you look at it just right... :P

Alex is in a better position to fight this than I was. I wish him all the luck in the world and looks like we can make this change for the better :) Being able to attend the meeting etc. isn't the same as actually being on the TAG... you feel like an outsider.

--
Marcos Caceres