Re: Forced Resignation

I apologize for inserting my unsolicited thoughts into this mostly inter-personal debate, but I just wanted to throw in this crazy idea that would make the whole discussion about political power over web standards somewhat irrelevant:

Imagine browser vendors were able to design their browsers such that they are simply "UX shells" (like Chrome on iOS which I've been told currently uses the same underlying engine as Safari Mobile) and the website would request which browser engine to run (assuming they're hot swappable) This way MSFT can build to whatever standard and Google can build to its own while Mozilla may build to yet another standard. This sounds horrific but imagine the productivity increase if developers could develop for just one browser engine and tell the browser to load that engine thus avoiding doing all the customizations for the various browsers which forever will continue to have many annoying differences redress of whatever the spec says. It's those differences that cost so much in development time (doing it the IE way or the Chrome way etc) and no standards body has been able to eliminate those differences. So instead of worrying who will control the web and drafting all those meticulous standards and specs the browser vendors can have informal gatherings or do whatever they want with their version of the web and the websites get to choose what browser engine they run on. This way the world won't need a group of vendors to sit in one committee and decide stuff regardless of the direction each company believes is in its best interest or best interest of its users. Such standards bodies and committees have their use for sure but at some point the interests of their members will diverge. It's hard enough to stay in a bi-lateral inter-personal relationship for decades. It's harder to do so in an impersonal multi-lateral scenario; the interests will diverge, critically at some point, so why waste time preventing the inevitable when we could be asking deeper questions about the way the world is today. In this case the browser as an idea has always been about standards. But what if we let each vendor explore the ultimate limits of their assumptions and let the developers choose allegiances while leaving the user and their choice of browser UX out of it.

Sorry again for interjecting.

Marc
Sent from my iPhone