Re: Forced Resignation

On 3 Jul 2014, at 13:35, Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com> wrote:

> On 7/3/2014 3:54 AM, Alex Russell wrote:
>> Further, I noted that the TAG invites former members to meetings
>
> For the record, that was done occasionally prior to my time as chair. I chose to do it more regularly because I felt that on balance it was helpful to the TAG and sometimes to former members. There is no commitment that such invitations will be extended in the future.
>
> Except when the TAG asks a former member (or other non-TAG member) to help or participate, such visitors are always viewed as observers. They have no formal standing, and are expected to use significant discretion as to whether to occasionally participate in discussions or just to observe. I never felt obliged to invite a former member if I felt it would be disruptive. In short, invitation of former members (or other guests) is at the discretion of the chair in his/her role of organizing the meetings.

Just to clarify, Peter and I have continued that tradition (of inviting former members at continue to attend and participate as much as is possible, and as much as it makes sense considering our current work items). And in this case we have explicitly made it clear that whoever steps down will have a blanket invitation to continue to attend out meetings and calls at least through what would have been their term. We also extended the same invitation a member who had to step down last year due to a similar affiliation change. And yes, technically this will be an observer.

Dan