Re: Forced Resignation

On 2014/06/30 23:50, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:

> Well it isn't organized around organizations.
> It is organized around people.
>
> The rule I assume is to prevent a company though becoming a dominant force, or appearing to.
> While we can discuss the relative merits of this rule, I'd point out that Alex you are at a company which others could certainly imagine ending up in a dominant position. It has have a lot of good people and often acquires other companies which have good people. This would be good discussion for the AB or the AC.

My impression is that this rule (like some others) was created at a time
when (sorry to name names) nobody wanted Microsoft to have 2, 3, or even
more representatives (and the rest to be from Netscape).

Such a fear (with different company names) may not currently be
warranted. Whether it will be warranted in the future or not is
difficult to tell; I very much hope not.

There is also the argument that having people from different companies
may create a bigger chance of bringing in different technical
viewpoints. Each successful company has certain common ways of doing
things, certain core technologies, and a broader mix may be a good
thing. This is completely different from

Also, the W3C has hundreds of members. Under an equal distribution
assumption, the chance of two TAG members (out of 8, because Tim doesn't
count) coming from the same organization should be fairly low. That
conflicts such as the current one happen so frequently strongly
indicates that the equal distribution assumption isn't justified. I
didn't run the odds, but my guess is that the best statistical
explanation for the actual observations would need a strongly skewed
distribution.

> I agree personally that you would be a big loss for the TAG.

I fully agree too!

Regards,   Martin.