Re: Ending DTD proliferation at the W3C

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@hsivonen.fi>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 11:50:30 +0200
To: Paul Libbrecht <paul@hoplahup.net>
Cc: "Michael[tm] Smith" <mike@w3.org>, www-tag <www-tag@w3.org>
On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 11:09 PM, Paul Libbrecht <paul@hoplahup.net> wrote:
> I did not talk about *speccing* DTDs (oh boy!). Neither did Michael I believe.

Mike talked about publishing new DTDs under TR. Seems like speccing to me.

> I disagree implied attributes are a misfeature and, while processing external subsets was optional, it has been always performed and has been a faithful way to perform namespace mixes.

Processing external subsets is optional.

> So… are you telling us you want spec-makers to not produce XML collections anymore?

I'm not sure what "XML collections" means, so I can't answer.

> Or you prefer that we happily ignore the namespace features of XML the way HTML5 has done it (meaning… you push the art of mixing to the spec writers and readers)?

I prefer that you make an editor (or system input method; see
Typinator for Mac) macro for inputting those terrible URLs into your
XML source explicitly.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@hsivonen.fi