Re: The legal status of linking and EC consultation

From: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 16:39:28 +0100
To: Daniel Appelquist <Daniel.Appelquist@telefonica.com>, www-tag <www-tag@w3.org>
CC: Konstantinov Sergey <twirl@yandex-team.ru>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@hsivonen.fi>
On 14/01/2014 15:54 , Daniel Appelquist wrote:
> On 14/01/2014 14:34, "Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen@hsivonen.fi> wrote:
>> It's not clear to me how exactly the Commission envisions their
>> actions in response to this Consultation to interact with the Berne
>> Convention, but to me it looks like the general tone is that
>> especially when it comes to the realization of the Single Market (lack
>> thereof for audiovisual works at present) and when it comes to
>> competition issues, the Commission might be willing to take steps that
>> would end up limiting how sovereignly copyright holders are allowed to
>> exercise their exclusive right under Article 8 of the Berne
>> Convention.
>
> That’s how I took it.  I understood that the consultation was more to do
> with local regulatory and enforcement regimes than with actually rewriting
> international copyright conventions.

That seems likely, but "local" that covers the whole Single Market makes
for a pretty strong influence. Also, the results could possibly tilt the
Commission's position towards reopening international copyright reform.

Amelia gives some details here:

     https://ameliaandersdotter.eu/copyright-consultation-model-responses

> But beyond spreading awareness of the consultation I don’t think there is
> any technical work to be done here.

There isn't necessarily technical work to be done, but a reply from the
TAG would hold some sway.