Re: Ending DTD proliferation at the W3C

Michael,

your suggestion ignores a function of DTDs which, I feel, is still relevant: DTDs are vocabulary helpers.
Using a DTD you can declare implied attributes including implied namespaces.
That means that you can, together with a DTD, distribute much more readable XML sources.
The characters' entity names are another example of vocabulary helpers.

I agree DTDs are outdated for any form of validation and that this should be prevented.
I disagree that working groups should not publish DTDs anymore. Especially,  I believe that distributing DTDs along with XML documents collections is good practice.

I believe some of it is useful in the TR world. But… on this I am unsure.

paul