Re: Current TAG election

From: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 19:27:36 +1000
To: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>
Cc: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>, Michael Smith <mike@w3.org>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>

On Friday, January 3, 2014 at 7:18 PM, Harry Halpin wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 10:11 AM, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com (mailto:w3c@marcosc.com)> wrote:
> >

> > On Friday, January 3, 2014 at 6:42 PM, Harry Halpin wrote:
> >
> > > Thus, it would be great if someone with real-world Web and Internet
> > > security experience ran for the TAG. Or was even offered to the W3C as
> > > a Fellow :)
> >

> > Harry Halpin, FTW? :)
>
> Currently, the W3C staff does not have a security expert given the
> departure of Thomas Roessler and there are very few people that are
> really qualified: have the years of experience with industrial-scale
> deployment, threat models, etc. really needed given the urgency of the
> situation.
>
> While I think W3C can co-operate effectively with the IETF and other
> bodies - along with the great amounts of expertise and talented
> individuals in WebAppSec and WebCrypto WGs - to provide security
> reviews of specs, having security expertise on the TAG is one way to
> strengthen the W3C in this regard.

Yeah, it wouldn’t hurt - but anyone is free to review the specs irrespective of the TAG (in the last year, I think the TAG only managed to review maybe 5 specs - and only 2-3 in any real depth). Having someone dedicated to security on the TAG would hardly make that much of an impact, as TAG members really only put in a few hours a week at best (unfortunately, TAG members also have their day jobs). I guess the TAG could somehow connect WG/Editors with the right security experts… but that could - and should - happen independently of the TAG.

--
Marcos Caceres