Re: WEIRDS and use of fixed URIs

On 02/25/2014 05:00 AM, "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> In that sense, it seems to be a reasonable compromise. You can put the
> WEIRDS interface on a server of your choice, at a path of your choice.
> But you can't tweak the structure below that path.

+1

This looks to me like a very sensible design, not at all in conflict
with WebArch or anti-squatting principles, to the extent that I
understand the issue based on MNot's description
https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/apps-discuss/current/msg11386.html

In essence, the server owner is *choosing* to delegate a small portion
of his/her URI space to WEIRDS bootstrapping.   That sounds exactly how
URI allocation should work.   Have I missed something?

> This may not be the ideal solution, but the ideal solution might include
> that the server owner can put the various resources involved at
> arbitrary, independent locations, increasing the bootstrap overhead.

That would seem to me to be pointless additional complexity, since the
server owner can internally map the relative URI locations to whatever
they want anyway.

David Booth