Re: Comments on w3ctag/eme/

Well, the answer is: we need to review entire concept of EME/DRM (not existing implementation) and setup architectural requirements for such systems design. We know that there are many DRM systems which don't care about accessibility, so we need a guarantee.

Browsers don't provide speech-recognition functionality right now, that's true. But if we omit such a requirement for DRM/EME systems, then we will be unable to use speech recognition when it actually appears in browser. If IE11 Netflix plugin allows to display HTML content, that's not a guarantee that other DRM/EME systems will allow to do that. These problems originate in the very concept of protected unreadable stream uncontrolled by user. Since accessibility features need an access to that stream to work, the only way to ensure accessibility functionality is to have an explicit requirement (for overall DRM/EME design, in fact) to allow system accessibility services to have a direct access to the DRM-protected content, and that's a technical architecture problem.

--
Konstantinov Sergey
Yandex Maps API Development Team Lead