Re: WEIRDS and use of fixed URIs

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 17:28:32 +1100
Cc: TAG List <www-tag@w3.org>, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
To: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Just a little more context here -- WEIRDS is trying to define a standard interface for accessing WHOIS data over HTTP using http(s):// URIs). It's doing so by saying that, given a URI prefix that's obtained out-of-band, you then can assume that resources with that base URI are laid out in a certain pattern.

Depending on how that discussion goes, we may be forced to modify uri-get-off-my-lawn to allow what WEIRDS is doing, thereby setting precedent for other standards to constrain URIs for their applications.

Tim Bray and I have been advocating against this practice strongly, and I expect the discussion to come to a head at the upcoming London IETF meeting. A statement (formal or not) from the TAG and/or TimBL would IMHO help preserve URI owners' control over their name space.

Cheers (and not wearing any hats),

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/