Re: Packaging Reflections

Hi,

just a few small notes.

On 06/02/2014 17:59 , Jeni Tennison wrote:
> 1. The requirements for packaging for efficient delivery are
> different from the requirements for creating self-contained packages.
> We might want to separate these requirements.

Indeed I believe you have to.

> 2. I feel like the evidence for a requirement for more efficient
> delivery is quite hand-wavy at the moment. Does anyone know of any
> concrete metrics for how much better the world would be if there were
> packages providing more efficient delivery of web resources?

I may have missed it, but one thing I haven't seen in this thread is
feedback from Mozilla. I point this out because a few years ago they
experimented rather thoroughly with something known then as "Limi
Packages". They tried a bunch of approaches and the outcome was that
they only saw moderate improvements at the best of times, while also
seeing it made it really easy for developers to rely on this as a
footgun, leading to degraded performance. In my last discussion with
them (after a thread on WebApps I was a party to essentially reinvented
the same solution) they indicated that they saw no advantage that
wouldn't be addressed better by HTTP2.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2013AprJun/0553.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2013AprJun/0620.html
(And other points in the thread.)

> * evidence that !/ doesn’t exist in current URLs
>
> I can try out the second of these myself obviously, but evidence
> about the use of !/ in URLs will have to come from elsewhere…

The place to get that information from would likely be:

     http://commoncrawl.org/

But it's more than a five minute job.