On 19 Dec 2014, at 4:18 pm, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@W3.ORG> wrote:

>> On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 1:28 AM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
>>> * The example of a village with poor access (e.g., in Africa) has regularly been
>>> brought up in the IETF as an example of a population who want shared
>>> caching, rather than encryption. The (very strong) response from folks
>>> who
>>> have actually worked with and surveyed such people has just as regularly
>>> been that many of these people value security and privacy more.
>
> That's interesting.  Data?  (((The school I remember in Rwanda which ran of one VSAT 128k link I think we just interested in getting some connectivity for their class and caching was crucial.  They used a custom router/cache which was designed for that situation. I don't think they were concerned about people spying on or falsifying the wikipedia pages they were reading in the class.  But maybe I missed that.  Maybe they now have fibre. Or maybe in general the switch from wifi  to mobile 3g data  where there is not real opportunity for people to push in a community cache. )))
>
> But to argue about this without data is not forward progress.

Randy Bush was the source of the quote in the IETF meeting; when asked for more detail, he started a very interesting discussion on the AFNOG list:
  https://afnog.org/pipermail/afnog/2014-December/date.html

Reading between the lines there, it seems like networking has come quite a ways in Africa.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/