Re: Preparing to Publish HTTPS Finding

22.12.2014, 22:38, "Chris Palmer" <palmer@google.com>:
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Melvin Carvalho
> <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  "The annual median per capita [yearly] income in India stood at $616, the
>>  99th position among 131 countries." [1] (Gallup Dec 2013)
>>
>>  So what's the cost of a wildcard SSL certificate (someone quoted $100 in a
>>  previous)?  Is it affordable?
>
> People at that income level need clean water and food, not X.509 certificates.

This is a particularly odious statement.

Often, people at that level could get food and clean water - and more precious bandwidth - if they could compete on a level footing in a low-cost web. Poor people often spend a huge amount of their total income on bandwidth and similar technology. And compared to those of us in the rich part of the world, it is often a very careful and very rational choice based on weighing some really serious odds.

Just sayin'

chaals