On 2014/12/20 06:18, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:

> On 2014-12 -11, at 07:46, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@hsivonen.fi> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 1:28 AM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
>>> * The example of a village with poor access (e.g., in Africa) has regularly been
>>> brought up in the IETF as an example of a population who want shared
>>> caching, rather than encryption. The (very strong) response from folks
>>> who
>>> have actually worked with and surveyed such people has just as regularly
>>> been that many of these people value security and privacy more.
>

> That's interesting.  Data?  (((The school I remember in Rwanda which ran of one VSAT 128k link I think we just interested in getting some connectivity for their class and caching was crucial.  They used a custom router/cache which was designed for that situation. I don't think they were concerned about people spying on or falsifying the wikipedia pages they were reading in the class.  But maybe I missed that.  Maybe they now have fibre. Or maybe in general the switch from wifi  to mobile 3g data  where th
 ere is not real opportunity for people to push in a community cache. )))

> But to argue about this without data is not forward progress.

I agree. I'm sorry to not have any data. But it may well be that things
change when going from a very localized mostly passive consumption for
knowledge acquisition (e.g. school) to a more widespread and more
interactive Web use.

Regards,   Martin.